So February is here and I am feeling so motivated and positive about writing at the moment. Maybe working through The Artist’s Way really is working for me, who knows! I’m not going to question where my sudden influx of energy has come from, I’m just going to roll with it. I’ve started querying Vulpini again, I’ve submitted to a few short story competitions and I even tried my hand at flash fiction for a new challenge.
I’ve also started trying to be more organised, setting myself monthly goals and mixing it up with different things so I don’t get burnt out just writing Wolfrik, getting despondent over Vulpini queries, or obsessing over short story competitions. I even bought a new diary (any excuse for new stationary) that has all these super helpful trackers and goals sections. I feel so mature about it until I remember I also write in new game releases in there and earlier wrote when preorders would go live for Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers.
Ok so I haven’t been as productive as I could have been so far this month, most likely because I’ve been playing way too many games (sorry, not sorry). However, I saw these gorgeous fairy lights in Paperchase and anything wolf/fox related really makes me feel motivated to get some more writing done, and I have written a little more of Wolfrik.
As far as The Artist’s Way is going, I’ve been keeping up with my morning pages and working through the weekly tasks. It’s tougher than expected and it makes me wonder whether I’m doing it right. I never know what to write for the morning pages and so it often turns into a diary of sorts. Is this right? I have no idea! I am determined to see it through though, so I will keep on swimming!
I’ve also started re-submitting for short story competitions again and will hopefully have some luck this year. Fingers crossed. I also have a few ideas in the works for some new short stories so I should really start getting those written out.
I’ve been fairly quiet recently and I aim for that to change now that 2019 is here. Here is a break down of my aims for the new year:
- The Artist’s Way – someone kindly bought me this amazing book by Julia Cameron for Christmas and I fully plan to try out its 12-week course and hopefully see some wonderfully creative results! In particular, I aim to really stick with the morning pages even past the course to ensure I don’t get out of the habit of writing. Someone once told me that your creativity is like a muscle and if you don’t exercise it then it will won’t be as strong. Time to get exercising!
- Update my blog more often even if it isn’t necessarily about writing, but encompasses life events and things I’m up to. All good writing practice after all!
- Read more. I need to start reading some of my (rather horrendous) pile of shame books that I haven’t even touched. Some absolute corkers in there that I am desperate to read and I just need to dedicate the time.
- Submit more short stories. I don’t know why I’ve let this lapse. I was short-listed in a competition at the end of last year and so it was a really positive experience and should have given me a burst of new energy, but my motivation just trailed off.
- Finish Wolfrik. I’m past the half-way mark!
- Finish NaNoWriMo properly. Whilst I did take part, I did not reach the goal of 50k words. I can blame my trip to France half-way through November all I want, but I know that I just lost motivation.
If I manage to stick to even half of these I will be happy, but I’d love to be successful on all these points. Fingers crossed!